Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Day after surgery

12 hours after he was in recovery I was finally able to hold him! It was very uncomfrotable and I dont think it was comforting to either of us. He was still all hooked up and pretty much every movement seemed painful, he was on a bunch of pillows so there wasn't really a way to get comfy for either of us, but I will take what I can get!

He is getting very puffy and black and blue and warped looking, It does not look good. If I hadn't seen him hours before I would not believe it was him, he looks SO different! His forehead area is SOO swollen from all the IV fluids his neck is swollen, he just doesn't look the same, he looks like an alien! I am SOO ready for the swelling to go down (but it won't for a few days).

He had a small fever, apparently it's normal with procedures, and with some tylenol it went away pretty quickly!

He started bottle feeding easily this morning and was able to get off the IV.. WOOHOO! He is eating about half what he usually eats and seems just fine, the medicine suppreses his appetite some.

He slept off and on through the morning and the IV was disconnected and he seemed in much less pain.. so we tried the holding him thing again..SO much better and he went right to sleep with some snuggling.

He kind of looks like a pirate, 1 eye is BLACK from bruising and he was barely opening his other eye, he can't open it anymore the swelling has started in the other eye some too.. The left eye is worse because he pretty much had a brow lift. He was having a hard time getting comfy later on in the day, the morphine was making his nose itch, I thought he was going to rub his tiny nose right off. He managed to rub some sugar water and tylenol all over his face, we were cleaning him up and he decided the wash cloth would make him feel better, no idea why but he started to suck on it... I dont really care what he wants right now, as long as it makes him happy.

Moving on from PICU.. YAY! This is a good step, it means he is doing a good job of managing his eating, pain and heart rate and all those other things.

The last picture is just his toes.. this is just what kind of kid he is, he is a amazing baby with a little bit of a troublemaker side.. he had those in his toes every 10 minutes!

Grandma and Grandpa came for a visit and brother and sister were NOT allowed to see little Finnley yet. They are sensitive and I don't want to scare them. Instead we had some ice cream in the adorable childrens garden here!

I think so far today the worst thing has NOTHING to do with us. I am so thankful for our amazing family and friends and that our little one is healthy, the other person we are sharing a room with has an abused baby, less than 2 months with a broken leg.. has had it for DAYS. Things like this make me thankful that I can stay home with our babies and we don't have to worry about who is with them!

OK.. I am going to add some pictures. They are still a little gruesome..


  1. I'm so glad he's doing better Brittanie!! I'm glad you're able to hold him--are you comforting him or is he comforting you? :-) Works out well! You guys have been in my prayers and will continue to be. Thanks for keeping us up to date!

  2. Brittanie, how strong you are! I am praying for your precious little guy. God bless you all!